By the end of January, I highly recommended that you visit Surva in Pernik (a town near Sofia)
The emotions are really positive. You will see a lot of people with masks from their region.
For more information, please visit http://en.surva.org/
Folklore groups from all over the world come in Pernik.
Personal advice for photographers:
- Be on time – the city is full of people and cars
- There is a train Sofia-Pernik, Pernik-Sofia
- Usually, it is very cold. Sometimes it snows
- Be well dressed in winter shoes, gloves etc.
- Take all batteries that you have
- A lot of photographers are there, observe the professional etiquette
- Don’t miss to taste everything
Personal advice for visitors:
- It is better to go by train
- The number park places are limited
- Stay in a sunny place
- Some small children are afraid of the masks
- Keep in mind that there are many restaurants where you can warm up or drink some tea.
- Also, there are many places from where you can buy souvenirs.